State Rulings Govern But Most Follow Federal Guideline
ATM Field Personnel Qualify as "Essential Critical Service Workforce" Under Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Advisory
Here are the Basic Rules of Thumb:
(1) Absent specific/unique local circumstances, you should be able to lawfully access/load/service all of your ATMs located in establishments qualifying as “Essential Businesses”, permitted by state/local governments to remain open and operational notwithstanding general business closure directives.
(2) If your ATMs are located in business locations that are “Non-Essential” and therefore are closed, those ATMs are effectively “out of business” too. In such cases, you should consider visiting the locations (using appropriate safety precautions) for the purpose of removing your vault cash while the locations remain closed.
You can print out and keep a copy in your vehicle(s) – for presentation as needed of this one-pager with this explicit language on DHS letterhead excerpted from the full DHS document - Here’s a LINK.
Specifically, the Department of Homeland Security CISA’s Guidance on the Essential Critical Infrastructure Workforce in the Section titled Financial Services, expressly includes :
“Workers who are needed to provide consumer access to banking and lending services, including ATMs, and to move currency and payments (e.g., armored cash carriers).”
Here also is a link to the full Guidance document from the ECIW at DHS:
While the DHS designations offer instructive guidance, and will be followed in most instances, it is up to the applicable state/local “Executive Orders” to ultimately dictate the details of which businesses/workers are deemed “Essential” and thus may continue field operations in areas otherwise mandated for business closures/restrictions during the COVID-19 crisis .
Along with this federal-issued information, please use the following links for specific State requirements/actions regarding shelter in place / business closures / essential business qualifications and other key State COVID-19 developments:
- States and Cities Stay at Home Pronouncements (General Login may be required but no subscription): https://nyti.ms/2y5j9LN
- Ntl. Govs. Assoc. – COVID-19 related state actions: https://www.nga.org/coronavirus/#states
- Ntl. Conf. of State Legislatures – COVID-19 related state legislation: https://www.ncsl.org/research/health/state-action-on-coronavirus-covid-19.aspx
If you have questions or need additional information on your specific state(s)’ requirements regarding “Essential/Critical” businesses or other COVID-19 ATM-related matters, please do not hesitate to call NAC on: (904) 683-6533 or email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org – and we’ll be glad to assist!
ATM NATION – SAFE & STRONG TOGETHER!